My wife talked about love yesterday. This week we are going to focus on marriages/relationships. We are going to talk about 10 steps to building a better marriage. Today, we are going to focus on the first five.
1. Make commitment (not your feelings) the foundation of your marriage.
Hebrews 13:4 reminds us “Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.”
You must give honor to marriage, and remain faithful to one another in marriage.
Did you know that:
- 1 out of 3 marriages end in divorce.
- 1 out of 50 marriages end in divorce if the couple had a church wedding.
- 1 out of 105 marriages end in divorce if the couple attends church regularly.
- 1 out of 1,155 marriages end in divorce if the couple attends church regularly and has family devotions.
2. Learn to draw a very large circle of love.
Ephesians 5:25 reminds us “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her”
So, you, husbands, are commanded to love your wives with the same love Christ showed the church. He gave up his life for her. Think about that. We have a great example to follow–Christ’s love for the church.
3. Humble yourself before your spouse.
Ephesians 5:21 reminds us, “Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.”
4. Continually say positive things to your spouse.
Eph 4:29 reminds us, “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.”
Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.
5. Never go to bed angry with your spouse.
Eph 4:26-27 reminds us, “In your anger do not sin” : Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold.”
Come back tomorrow for part 2!
Show your spouse you love them today!